메뉴닫기
About Gwangmyeong
History
Prehistoric Age

Gwangmyeong is generally comprised of low and flat plains with the height of 290-330m.

Anyangcheon Stream runs through the east side and Mokgamcheon Stream through the northwestern side, and the center is a favorable place for hunting and gathering surrounded by Dodeoksan Mountain and Gureumsan Mountain. In addition, it is presumed that people might have lived in the place even in the prehistoric age as the ancient soil layer with well-developed soil wedge has been found in Soha-dong. However, it remains uncertain whether people lived here since relics or ruins have not yet been found.

Meanwhile, Jiseokmyo (dolmen), the ruins of the Bronze Age around 2,000 to 3,000 years ago, were found in Cheolsan-dong, Gahak-dong and Haan-dong, which means that people formed a society in that place to live.

Age of Three States

In ancient times when three states, Goguryeo, Baekje and Silla, competed to occupy the area around Han River, Gwangmyeong first belonged to Baekje, next to Goguryeo and finally to Silla. The earthenware pieces from the Baekje age were collected in Dodeoksan Mountain and a fort was also discovered. Meanwhile, the area of Seoksu-dong and Bakdal-dong of Anyang and Bongcheon-dong, Sillim-dong, Sangdo-dong, Gasan-dong, Siheung-dong, Daerim-dong and Singil-dong of Seoul as well as Gwangmyeong belonged to Ingbeolnohyeon in accordance with the southward expansion policy of King Jangsu of Goguryeo. Gwangmyeong was the land of Silla which occupied the lower reaches of the Han River during the reign of King Jinheung, Silla Dynasty, and belonged to Gokyanghyeon in 757 (16th year of King Gyeongdeok’s reign) after the unification by Silla.

Goryeo Dynasty

Gwangmyeong was renamed “Geumju” after the reorganization of the local system in 940 (23rd year of King Taejo’s reign, Goryeo Dynasty). It had a nickname “Siheung” as the nickname system was adopted in the reign of King Seongjong who put forward the centralism. Gwangmyeong was also belonged to Gwannaedo in accordance with the 10-province system. In 1069(23rd year of King Munjong’s reign), Gwangmyeong became part of the jurisdiction of Gyeonggi-do for the first time, and then into that of Gyeonggijwa-do when Gyeonggi-do was divided into two areas in 1390 (2nd year of King Gongyang’s reign.)

Joseon Dynasty and before the founding of the Republic of Korea

Geumju was renamed Geumcheon-hyeon after the 8-province system was implemented in 1413 (13th year of King Taejong’s reign in the Joseon Dynasty) and governors were sent to each province in the country.

Geumcheon-hyeon was renamed Siheung-hyeon in 1795 (13th year of King Jeongjo’s reign) when King Jeongjo visited Hyeonryungwon in Hwaseong, which is the tomb of Prince Sado. According to “Gyeonggieupji”, published in 1871, Gwangmyeong belonged to Nam-myeon and Seo-myeon of Siheung-hyeon. In 1895 (32nd year of King Gojong’s reign), the region belonged to Incheon-bu after Siheung-hyeon was promoted to Siheung-gun, and next year, it was belonged to Gyeonggi-do again. In accordance with Article 111 of the Japanese Government General of Korea enforced from March 1, 1914 (during the Japanese ruling era), three Guns including Siheung, Ansan and Gwacheon, were united into Siheung-gun and Gwangmyeong was reorganized into Seo-myeon.

Republic of Korea

In accordance with Article 159 of the Presidential Decree enforced from Aug. 14, 1949 after the liberation from Japanese imperialism, Gwangmyeong was separated from Siheung-gun as Dorim-ri, Guro-ri and Beondaebang-ri in Buk-myeon were reorganized into Seoul Metropolitan Area. In accordance with Act No. 1172, promulgated on Nov. 21, 1962, Sindong-myeon and Siheung-ri, Doksan-ri, Sillim-ri, Bongcheon-ri and Garibong-ri in Dong-myeon were incorporated into Seoul Metropolitan City.

In accordance with Siheung-gun Ordinance No. 199 enforced on June 10, 1970, Seo-myeon Gwangmyeong Office was established to cover 2 administrative districts, Gwangmyeong-ri and Cheolsan-ri., Anyang-eup, Siheung-gun was separated from Siheung-gun after it was promoted to Anyang City, in accordance with Act No. 2597, promulgated on July 1, 1973.

In accordance with Siheung-gun Ordinance No. 401, promulgated on June 1, 1974, Seo-myeon Gwangmyeong Office was promoted to Siheung-gun Gwangmyeong Office and 7 local offices were opened on April 20, 1976.

In accordance with Presidential Decree No. 9409, promulgated on May 1, 1979, Seo-myeon was promoted to Soha-eup, and, in accordance with Act No. 3425, promulgated on July 1, 1981, Soha-eup and Gwangmyeong Office were promoted to Gwangmyeong City, being separated from Siheung-gun. In accordance with Presidential Decree No. 11027 on Feb. 15, 1983, Okgil 1-ri and Okgil 3-ri, Sorae-eup, Siheung-gun were incorporated into Gwangmyeong City, and were belonged to Gwangmyeong 6-dong in terms of administrative districts.

In accordance with Gwangmyeong Ordinance No. 601 on May 20, 1990, Haan 1-dong was divided into Haan 1-dong and Haan 2-dong. In accordance with Gwangmyeong Ordinance No. 620 on Dec. 1, 1990, Haan 2-dong was divided into Haan 2-dong and Haan 3-dong.

In accordance with Gwangmyeong Ordinance No. 864 on March 6, 1995, Haan 2-dong was divided into Haan 2-dong and Haan 4-dong. As of June 1, 2010, Gwangmyeong is comprised of 8 legal dongs and 18 administrative dongs.